- Surrendering an Animal
- Lost Pet Recovery
- Spay & Neuter
- Animal Rescue & Control
- Dog Licensing
- Humane Education
How You Can Help!
Thank you for choosing the Santa Cruz County Animal Shelter’s Spay and Neuter Program. Appointments are required for all surgeries.
The clinic is located at our Live Oak location, 2200 7th Avenue, Santa Cruz.
Animals must be in good health. If your pet is showing any signs of illness we may decline to do surgery at that time, ask you to see your regular veterinarian and reschedule your appointment. If you have any questions about your pet’s health ahead of time, please call us at (831) 454-7303.
- Sign-up for surgeries and services will be on a first come, first served basis and must be done in person at either Santa Cruz County Animal Services shelter location (2200 7th St. St., Santa Cruz or 580 Airport Blvd., Watsonville) before the surgery date. All fees must be paid upfront and check-in form and surgery consent form must be completed at time of sign-up. No refunds.
- All patients must be 8 weeks old or weigh at least 2 pounds.
- Adult dogs (patients 5 months and older) should have no food after 9:00 pm the night before surgery. Adult cats, all rabbits and puppies and kittens (patients 5 months and under) should have breakfast the morning of surgery. All animals should have fresh water available to them at all times.
- Dogs must be on a leash.
- Cats must be in a carrier (one cat to a carrier except for litters of kittens).
- Rabbits must be in a carrier and owner will supply food for the rabbit for the day.
- Pet drop-off at Santa Cruz Animal Services Live Oak location (between 8:00 am and 9:00 am) and pick-up the same day (between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm). Any pet not picked up by 5:30 pm the same day of surgery will be charged a $40 per day boarding fee. If the pet is not picked up in 24 hours of surgery, it will constitute abandonment and the animal will become the property of Santa Cruz County Animal Services.